Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] (of a woman's garment) held up by a strap around the neck.‘a white halter-neck bikini’
- ‘It is true that teenage mags can be vile little publications hellbent on creating a generation of Lolitas, dressed up in sparkly halter-neck frocks and the latest eyeshadow.’
- ‘Variety is what will get those halter-neck tops flying off the shelves.’
- ‘It's hard to go shopping and look for some cool jeans and a halter-neck disco top when your Grandma is asking you whether Marks & Spencer sell nice saris!’
- ‘The bouncer is being pestered by two girls wearing backless halter-neck tops and micro-skirts that leave little to the imagination.’
- ‘The bridesmaids wore gold satin halter-neck dresses and carried bouquets of red roses and cream carnations.’
- ‘I bought a gold halter-neck dress for the graduation ball online, and I have just bought an ice cream maker as a wedding present for my brother.’
- ‘‘This one looks best with that skirt,’ Ashleigh said pulling her black and white halter-neck top out.’
- ‘Tailoring has given these garments a youthful feel, while strappy and halter-neck tops are evident of a break from the cultural norm.’
- ‘Riley wore a pair of black bootleg pants and a red halter-neck top with black boots.’
- ‘Karina tries on a pair of suede pants and a halter-neck top to wear to the pub tonight.’
- ‘Then I found a self-striped black halter-neck top from Next.’
- ‘The two older bridesmaid's dresses were handmaid with fitted skirts and halter-neck tops.’
- ‘Alex had white trousers on and a pink halter-neck top.’
- ‘The halter-neck dress was tied around her neck, leaving her smooth olive-tanned arms bare.’
- ‘Irene wore a white halter-neck diamanté gown designed by Amanda Wyatt with a crystal tiara and white crushed velvet cape.’
- ‘One of the clothes we particularly loved was a black high neck round collared halter-neck top that Nicole had been very sceptical about.’
- ‘I am currently considering whether judging the next round of debates in an orange halter-neck top would detract from my gravitas.’
- ‘She was wearing Miss Sixty combat jeans, a black halter-neck top, denim bikini, denim shirt and high-heel shoes.’
- ‘She had on a light blue halter-neck top over black trousers, with her blonde hair loose around her shoulders, and looked slim and sophisticated.’
- ‘The black material was actually a short, black halter-neck dress.’
A halter-neck garment.
- ‘Anyway, I really love what they call halter-necks, they go all the way to your neck, but expose your shoulders.’
- ‘One was hot pink and black, the top was a halter-neck, with matching pants.’
- ‘Jess seemed to have dressed up, wearing a white glittery halter-neck.’
- ‘Yukiko is admiring the new halter-neck she bought as she walks along the street, behind her sister.’
- ‘Everyone would accept the duty to get their paid work done in the allotted time, from catching car thieves to buying shares, from wiping tables to fixing the railway network, from selling Lycra halter-necks to marking exam papers.’
- ‘I dressed in tight jeans, a striped halter-neck and black boots.’
- ‘‘Ahem,’ came a little cough as Amber walked out in a pair of black leather pants and pink snakeskin halter-neck.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.