One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant adapted to growing in saline conditions, as in a salt marsh.
- ‘These plants, known as halophytes, include a large taxonomic variety and occupy diverse habitats, from extremely dry to temporarily waterlogged sites or salt marshes.’
- ‘Such investigations would lead to the study of higher plant halophytes, which in nature often encounter high salinity and alkaline pH values at the same time.’
- ‘However, the mechanisms taken by the seeds of halophytes to adapt to saline stress are still poorly understood.’
- ‘Physiologically salt tolerance is also complex, with halophytes and less tolerant plants showing a wide range of adaptations.’
- ‘Shoots of the halophyte Salicornia bigelovii are larger and more succulent when grown in highly saline environments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.