Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant adapted to growing in saline conditions, as in a salt marsh.
- ‘Such investigations would lead to the study of higher plant halophytes, which in nature often encounter high salinity and alkaline pH values at the same time.’
- ‘Shoots of the halophyte Salicornia bigelovii are larger and more succulent when grown in highly saline environments.’
- ‘However, the mechanisms taken by the seeds of halophytes to adapt to saline stress are still poorly understood.’
- ‘Physiologically salt tolerance is also complex, with halophytes and less tolerant plants showing a wide range of adaptations.’
- ‘These plants, known as halophytes, include a large taxonomic variety and occupy diverse habitats, from extremely dry to temporarily waterlogged sites or salt marshes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.