One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A national memorial in New York City containing busts and memorials honouring the achievements of famous Americans.
- 1.1North American as noun The class or category of those who have excelled in a particular activity.‘the Hockey Hall of Fame’
- ‘In fact, Pezzano has been inducted into a total of 10 Halls of Fame (five for bowling performance and five for meritorious service/outstanding service).’
- ‘But, much to my surprise, when I go to tot up the scores at the end of blogging all my records (by forty), this will not be featuring in any Hall of Fame.’
- ‘While Bodine may never enter a Hall of Fame, he is a proud survivor.’
- ‘Nick Faldo has won the last two Opens there, in 1987 and 1992, and going back in time the list of winners reads like a Hall of Fame.’
- ‘I feel very honored to know you think this story could be in a Hall of Fame.’
- ‘Wilkinson is the only individual to be inducted into the NRHA, AQHA, and NCHA Halls of Fame.’
- ‘This year there are eight category awards, a Hall of Fame and an Overall Winner.’
- ‘Among the other recommendations which should not attract any argument is the call for the development of a Hall of Fame to showcase the history of British racing.’
- ‘They should wake up to the fact that the way things are going, fans may not even care that there is a Hall of Fame.’
- ‘Rather than a Hall of Fame, I would like to see a Hall of Shame instituted for Australian sport.’
- ‘But if you're planning an April Fools' Day gag, be sure to browse through the galleries of the Museum of Hoaxes, a Hall of Fame for history's greatest pranks.’
- ‘It surely ranks near the top of my list for this size and class and if there were a Hall of Fame for powerboats this would no doubt be one of the first inductees.’
- ‘Having been inducted into the Texas and Missouri Country Music Halls of Fame earlier this year she was then honoured with the Living Legend Award, and just recently received the Golden Guitar award.’
- ‘Yet this uncommon practice vaulted Smitty into both the ABC and PBA Halls of Fame.’
- ‘Zernograd's museum doubles as a Hall of Fame for its wheat farmers; Eureka has a monument to wheat in front of its museum.’
- ‘If Bermuda had had a Hall of Fame back in 1976 when Mr. Hill won his medal, he would have been inducted immediately.’
- ‘Proposals are being put forward for the inauguration of a Hall of Fame, to recognize outstanding local karatekas.’
- ‘She has been inducted into six Halls of Fame, including the International Swimming Hall of Fame.’
- ‘Mark Fisher's fantastical Brobdingnagian stage sets are about as close as architects ever get to rock and roll, which remains, despite Halls of Fame and Hard Rock Cafes, essentially uninstitutionalizable.’
- ‘He hands me a copy of Boxing Digest with an article on Muhammad Ali being inducted into this Hall of Fame - an event, in Jack's opinion, that was buried by the Canadian press.’
- 1.1North American as noun The class or category of those who have excelled in a particular activity.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.