One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to fishing.
- ‘Research in halieutic ecology aims at evaluating the direct effects of disturbances, principally fishing, on targeted populations as well as derivative effects on the population as a whole.’
- ‘The programme in halieutic and aquacultural sciences aims to train executives for/in responsible fishing, sustainable fish farming and integrated management of the coastal zones.’
- ‘Thus, compared with the sea coast, the lagoons contribute largely to the increase of the halieutic demersal potential: the zones of high demersal production correspond to the zones where the lagoons are large and productive.’
- ‘Scientists are devoting their lives to saving the last survivors of the sea, sadly renowned as the object of the largest commercial exploitation of a halieutic resource.’
- ‘Some species are highly prized as seafood, and are important halieutic and aquaculture resources.’
Mid 19th century: via Latin from Greek halieutikos, from halieutēs ‘fisherman’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.