One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A binary compound of a halogen with another element or group.
- ‘The chemical elements are grouped into sets in the periodic table (such as halides and alkali metals) based on the chemical behavior they have in common.’
- ‘The oxides, hydrides, and halides are volatile covalent compounds that have low melting points.’
- ‘In elimination reactions, larger molecules expel smaller molecules like water, hydrogen halides, carbon dioxide and other diatomic gases to form new substances.’
- ‘In covalent halides, such as carbon tetrachloride, the bonding electrons are localized in the carbon-chlorine bonds of the individual molecules.’
- ‘The halides all contain halogen elements, such as chlorine and fluorine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.