One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A line across a sports field midway between the ends.
- ‘The kicker would easily be able to boot one of our balls, accurately, farther than the halfway line if he were on a soccer pitch.’
- ‘I was standing on the halfway line, with no defender in sight.’
- ‘Viduka stops holding his stomach muscles in for a moment and takes out a Brazilian on the halfway line to concede a free-kick.’
- ‘He made his name after that sensational goal from the halfway line against Wimbledon a few seasons ago.’
- ‘Spain win a free-kick on the halfway line, which goes backwards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.