One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A former British gold coin worth ten shillings (50p).
- ‘What he will particularly be on the lookout for is good condition ‘higher denomination’ coins, such as half crown, crown, half-sovereign and sovereign, from the Victorian period and earlier.’
- ‘The Perth Mintmark on sovereigns and half-sovereigns has always appeared in the same position.’
- ‘In 1871, during the reign of Queen Victoria, gold sovereigns and half-sovereigns began to be minted in Sydney, Australia.’
- ‘All coins bore the head of Queen Victoria - a gold sovereign, half-sovereign, half-crown, shilling, sixpence and a threepenny piece.’
- ‘As the patrolmen came up, he handed a half-sovereign to Inkerman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.