One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A method of moulding, carving, or stamping in relief a design in which figures project to half their true proportions.‘the tower is modern, with a top of green copper and geometric columns in half-relief’
- ‘The raised relief, half relief and bas-relief are all similar.’
- ‘The other two are half relief and high relief, with carving in detail.’
- ‘On a raised bench ornamented with the rail pattern is a small relic-shrine, in half relief 4' 2'' high.’
- 1.1count noun A sculpture or carving in half relief.
- ‘Until today there is no satisfying interpretation of the Celtic half reliefs in the gable over the portal of the Belsener chapel, but there may have been a certain ritual importance around Belsen in former times.’
- ‘The upper floor (state gallery) possesses a late-gothical, colored seized carving covered with half reliefs, which are attributed to Lederer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.