Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A method of moulding, carving, or stamping in relief a design in which figures project to half their true proportions.‘the tower is modern, with a top of green copper and geometric columns in half-relief’
- ‘The other two are half relief and high relief, with carving in detail.’
- ‘The raised relief, half relief and bas-relief are all similar.’
- ‘On a raised bench ornamented with the rail pattern is a small relic-shrine, in half relief 4' 2'' high.’
- 1.1count noun A sculpture or carving in half relief.
- ‘Until today there is no satisfying interpretation of the Celtic half reliefs in the gable over the portal of the Belsener chapel, but there may have been a certain ritual importance around Belsen in former times.’
- ‘The upper floor (state gallery) possesses a late-gothical, colored seized carving covered with half reliefs, which are attributed to Lederer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.