One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A note having the time value of two crotchets or half a semibreve, represented by a ring with a stem.Also called minim
- ‘Behind his solo, the band plays a descending set of half notes and Watts builds off this.’
- ‘Contrapunctus I, which exposes the subject in its original form (do-sol-me-do-ti-do-re-me-fa-me-re-do), was played in a slow tempo, with an almost dry separation of the initial four half notes each time the subject or answer appeared.’
- ‘Sometimes a half note is better than a full note, or no sound is better than a lot of sounds so you can contemplate something that's already been or create anticipation for something that's about to happen, like in a film score.’
- ‘The aptly titled Creepy Crotchets is written almost entirely in quarter-note values, with occasional half notes, and is based on the familiar creepy minor arpeggiated chord theme.’
- ‘Rhythmic values are quarter, eighth and half notes, and only the major finger pattern is used in the first chorale.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.