One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of floor where a flight of stairs turns through 180 degrees.
- ‘Door frames are intricately carved and stained glass, above the half landing and around the main door, is colourful and detailed.’
- ‘A wide staircase with the original balustrade leads to the first floor, past a full-width stained glass window on the half landing.’
- ‘The imposing entrance hall has two arched windows to the rear, original panelled doors and a wide staircase leading to a half landing with stained glass circular window.’
- ‘The sauna is off the half landing while on the first floor are the five bedrooms.’
- ‘Most of the gallery could be accessed by lift, but there were a number of ‘half landings’ where wheelchair access would have been impossible.’
- ‘Visitors to this new courtroom must climb 17 steps (passing a sort of monumental pod on the half landing when pausing for breath).’
- ‘The main staircase of the wonderfully converted new Guinness Storehouse is cracked on every half landing.’
- ‘Access to the building is by lift and two aluminium staircases both of which are hinged from their half landing to the ground so that when the building is empty it can be secured by raising the stairs.’
- ‘Seemingly, she stands on the half landing and looks down the stairs for a few seconds before disappearing.’
- ‘Consider also the fact that Arabella and Zdenka's Act I duet, ‘Er ist der richtige’, takes place with them standing on the half landing.’
- ‘A single-flight stair to one side links all levels, with the shop and home sharing a half landing through a connecting door, and an attic level ‘store room’ doubles as a curious penthouse sleeping cell for guests.’
- ‘Off this, to the right of the stage was a sort of half landing coming forward, whose primary purpose seemed to be to allow the producer an alternative location to place singers, high above the stage.’
- ‘A wooden staircase and handcrafted balustrade leads to the first floor, past a leaded and stained glass window above the half landing, a replacement for one that was blown out in the 1970s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.