Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A player in a ball game such as soccer, rugby, or field hockey whose position is between the forwards and full backs.→ half
- ‘He played halfback in the Australian rugby union team and was scorer in a test at Lords.’
- ‘I made the run-on team but as a winger because the incumbent halfback was heaps bigger and faster than me, and also because the mate that introduced me to the club had broken his nose the previous week.’
- ‘Hockey should follow suit with special coaches for goalkeepers, defenders, halfbacks and forwards.’
- ‘This has been a continuation of an age-old argument in New Zealand rugby history when two halfbacks of similar class have been available.’
- ‘From a rugby league point of view, if you talk mentors the biggest impact on me was Ricky Stuart, he was awesome and reinvented the way a halfback plays rugby league.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.