One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player in a ball game such as soccer, rugby, or field hockey whose position is between the forwards and full backs.
- ‘I made the run-on team but as a winger because the incumbent halfback was heaps bigger and faster than me, and also because the mate that introduced me to the club had broken his nose the previous week.’
- ‘He played halfback in the Australian rugby union team and was scorer in a test at Lords.’
- ‘This has been a continuation of an age-old argument in New Zealand rugby history when two halfbacks of similar class have been available.’
- ‘Hockey should follow suit with special coaches for goalkeepers, defenders, halfbacks and forwards.’
- ‘From a rugby league point of view, if you talk mentors the biggest impact on me was Ricky Stuart, he was awesome and reinvented the way a halfback plays rugby league.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.