One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player in a ball game such as soccer, rugby, or field hockey whose position is between the forwards and full backs.
- ‘This has been a continuation of an age-old argument in New Zealand rugby history when two halfbacks of similar class have been available.’
- ‘Hockey should follow suit with special coaches for goalkeepers, defenders, halfbacks and forwards.’
- ‘From a rugby league point of view, if you talk mentors the biggest impact on me was Ricky Stuart, he was awesome and reinvented the way a halfback plays rugby league.’
- ‘He played halfback in the Australian rugby union team and was scorer in a test at Lords.’
- ‘I made the run-on team but as a winger because the incumbent halfback was heaps bigger and faster than me, and also because the mate that introduced me to the club had broken his nose the previous week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.