One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short holiday about halfway through a school term.‘their sons are on half-term’‘I'm not coming home at half-term’as modifier ‘his half-term report’‘the half-term holiday’
break, rest, period of leave, day off, week off, month off, recess, school holidayView synonyms
- ‘Yesterday, children from several York schools took part in a Viking procession before they broke up for the half-term holiday.’
- ‘All in all, the half-term report has a familiar tone: ‘sound progress, but could do better’.’
- ‘I want to have the week that the boys are on half-term holiday.’
- ‘The children, who had spent the half-term holiday in Salou, were reported by a fellow pupil for trying to sneak home the animal.’
- ‘Owing to the half-term break we were unable to contact Mrs Holmes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.