Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long-distance running race, strictly one of 13 miles 192 yards (21.0975 km)‘she travelled to Japan in January to compete in a half-marathon’[as modifier] ‘half-marathon championships’
- ‘‘I couldn't do the event last year because I was competing in the World half-marathon championships,’ said Jenkins.’
- ‘Danny, 45, has already completed 13 marathons and 80 half-marathons to raise money for a variety of charities.’
- ‘Coun Fox said he used to run marathons and half-marathons, but was now de-motivated and unable to sleep.’
- ‘As editors of this magazine, we'd like to put our money where our mouths are and not only challenge you to train for your first half-marathon, but to come race with us!’
- ‘It attracts runners from around the world to compete in an ultra-marathon and a half-marathon.’
- ‘The event will also include a half-marathon, wheelchair race, four-person relay and 5K race.’
- ‘There were four races in this year's event - the full 26-mile marathon, a half-marathon, a corporate relay challenge and a fun run.’
- ‘His plan had always been to retire from the track after Athens to concentrate on half-marathons and marathons.’
- ‘Well, if I liken my writing career to a half-marathon race, I'd say I'm about halfway.’
- ‘Along with the marathon, there were also several other races including a 10 km, half-marathon and a marathon relay.’
- ‘Furthermore runners from the locality did well at the Lisburn half-marathon, that also incorporated a ten-kilometre race.’
- ‘Don't worry about time in your first half-marathon - even if you walk portions of the race, that's fine.’
- ‘Dad used to train for his marathons and half-marathons in Delamere Forest, near our home in Cheshire.’
- ‘Since 1982, when he ran his first marathon, he has completed 31 full marathons, another 35 half-marathons and other runs of various distances.’
- ‘Entry to the schools' competition is free, the half-marathon is R30 and the 10 km race R20.’
- ‘In the four years since her diagnosis Jane has, among other notable athletic endeavours, cycled from Land's End to John O'Groats, completed the Half Ironman triathlon and numerous marathons and half-marathons, raising more £600,000.’
- ‘Instead, she found a programme of races that culminated in victory at the world half-marathon championships in Vera Cruz, Mexico.’
- ‘In his running diary he has recorded more than 80,000 km since 1987 and participated in 29 marathons, 16 ultra-marathons, 22 triathlons and 20 half-marathons.’
- ‘UK Athletics said it will fund four male and four female athletes to compete at the international half-marathon in Reims, France, on 17 October.’
- ‘Some 15,000 others who competed in the full and half-marathons and the 5K race know otherwise.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.