One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of capacity half as large as a litre.
- ‘Take-home packs of ‘payasams’, made available in reusable plastic jars of half-litre and one litre, are the most sought after at the ‘payasam melas’.’
- ‘My hotel - the plush Andel's, via Lastminute.com - sold half-litres of beer for 70 crowns - £1.55.’
- ‘This thoroughly modern item features pockets for your mobile phone, not to mention your half-litre of Evian and, while it may have made arch-traditionalists seethe to their sporrans, it got the message through to the target market.’
- ‘The final score, including desserts, mains and starters for three, a half-litre of house red, a beer and two coffees was £57.70, or just under £20 each.’
- ‘Brian Ball, an Englishman, is scooping water out of the Loch, home to the famous mythical monster, and selling it at a starting price of £3.99 for a half-litre plus £2.38 postage and packing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.