One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Partly in a humorous manner and partly in earnest.‘a friend and former teacher half-jokingly suggested we start a school together’
- ‘He half-jokingly compares the studio industry to the hotel business, saying that his equipment and design choices reflect the needs of his clientele.’
- ‘During one studio visit last winter, the artist regaled me half-jokingly with stories about his relationship to a real-life barnyard rooster in Normandy.’
- ‘The basketball tournament was an idea we'd been talking about half-jokingly for several months.’
- ‘The writer half-jokingly said that, though he loved humanity, he couldn't stand individuals.’
- ‘Its conclusion is so upbeat that a friend suggested, only half-jokingly, that it could be turned into a Broadway musical.’
- ‘He ended his remarks by half-jokingly telling reporters to put stories about his recovery bond on their front pages.’
- ‘I sometimes say, half-jokingly, that this job would be easy if it weren't for the people.’
- ‘"It was like making a dance for a whole city," he said of the process, which he only half-jokingly likened to chaos theory.’
- ‘At the end of one of my therapy sessions last week I half-jokingly asked the doctor, "Who dies from a skin rash?"’
- ‘Once in the hallway, he half-jokingly asks me, for the seventh time that day, about the secret of my fruitfulness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.