One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who has represented Oxford or Cambridge University in a minor sport or as a second choice in any sport.
- ‘On the contrary, at Oxford he'd been a squash and tennis half-blue.’
- ‘A depressing start to the season for Brasenose, but on paper they were by far the underdogs: Catz fielded a team of four half-blue players, and their superior experience and composure was evident throughout.’
- 1.1 The distinction gained as a half-blue.
- ‘A discretionary half blue may be awarded to a member of the A team in the Varsity match who who achieves a score of at least 46.0 in the BUSA competition, provided that they perform well in both competitions.’
- ‘He had always been keen on swimming and water polo and won his half blue at Cambridge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.