One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Turmeric.‘add tomatoes, coriander, mint, haldi, and salt’
- ‘To get lemon yellow or dark yellow, you have to add haldi (turmeric powder) in varying quantities.’
- ‘Because of health fears, natural colours such as mehndi, haldi, besan and maida have become popular again.’
- ‘Neem, haldi, pepper, harar, bahera, amla, mustard, basmati, ginger, castor, jaramla, amaltas and new karela and jamun have all been patented.’
- ‘All over the district, the ubiquitous traditional Tamil ‘manja pye’ or haldi coloured cloth bag has made its reappearance.’
- ‘Add tomatoes, coriander and mint, chilli powder, haldi, sugar, coriander-cumin powder, bay leaf and salt.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit haridrā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.