One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender flat coiled spring regulating the movement of the balance wheel in a watch.
- ‘In most cases they used a long extension of the hairspring and pinned it to the base of the balance cock.’
- ‘The two hairsprings are offset at 180 degrees to provide optimal balance, better regulation, easy adjustment, improved stability and greater precision.’
- ‘When the spring is released current ceases to flow in the coil allowing the hairspring to return the balance.’
- ‘This oscillation is not exactly a parallel to the balance wheel and hairspring of a clockwork watch, but the fact is that both use oscillations to keep track of passing time.’
- ‘The curb pins on the regulator must be adjusted so that the hairspring hits them when it is supposed to.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.