One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lacking hair; bare or bald.‘his hairless chest’
bald, bald-headedView synonyms
- ‘There is little dignity in a cat that looks like its face has been punched in, and petting a nervous, thin, hairless pig with oily bug eyes is only so much fun.’
- ‘The creature stayed fast asleep the entire time, not even moving except for its smooth, hairless chest.’
- ‘The ancient Egyptians had this down to a fine art long ago; a smooth and hairless body was the standard of beauty, youth and innocence.’
- ‘There is something vaguely creepy in virtually hairless toddlers sporting ribbony hair adornments.’
- ‘He had a shiny hairless chest and was clean-shaven.’
- ‘You only had to look at her hairless scalp to know why.’
- ‘Its skin was hairless and smooth and covered in miniscule, grayish brown scales.’
- ‘The boy, hairless due to the treatment he has undergone, is in the fifth session of chemotherapy.’
- ‘A team of American scientists isolated stem cells from mouse hair follicles and implanted them in the skin of other hairless mice.’
- ‘So we might not have seen the last of this hairless gang.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.