One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device incorporating two narrow heated plates used for straightening a person's hair.‘the fire was started by hair straighteners being left on’
- ‘The firm, which imports and sells ceramic hair straighteners, is moving to purpose-built business premises.’
- ‘I caught him trying and failing to give himself a floppy fringe using Bridget's hair straighteners.’
- ‘Detectives found clothing, footwear, handbags, and hair straighteners during searches across the area yesterday.’
- ‘Hair straighteners were supposed to be compulsorily used by every woman, regardless of age, hair type, race.’
- ‘I will never own a set of hair straighteners.’
- ‘In the tiny, tidy room, her hair straighteners are on a bedside table.’
- ‘He burned his right arm with hair straighteners.’
- ‘I will pay all the bills before I go out shopping for new curtains and new hair straighteners.’
- ‘She tried to claim a pair of £100 hair straighteners on her parliamentary expenses.’
- ‘This week she is sporting two scalds on her forehead, where she has branded herself with the hair straighteners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.