One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The worship of saints.
- ‘But this kind of hagiolatry might spread the length and breadth of the continent with the appearance of further saints of this type.’
- ‘The companion to media demonisation is the hagiolatry of Western leaders and apologetics for their crimes.’
- ‘In this country and in USA there is a distinguished tradition of hagiolatry of these scoundrels.’
- ‘It is calculated that more than 2,000 books have been published on him, but a great deal of it is hagiolatry, lacking critical rigour and dispassionate appraisal.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the ceremony is one of the most ancient blessings, just as the cult of the Baptist is very ancient in Catholic hagiolatry.’
- 1.1 Undue veneration of a famous person.
- ‘Writing on film is already trashy enough, already skewed by celebrity suck-up values and movie star hagiolatry.’
- ‘Most biographies of him have been exercises in hagiolatry, failing to mention his considerable weaknesses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.