One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Afflicted by nightmares or anxieties.‘he was hag-ridden by his early success’
tormented, troubled, anguished, agonized, distressed, tortured, harrowed, racked with suffering, angst-ridden, ground down, worn out, despairingView synonyms
- ‘The Germans began the second half looking hag-ridden and were full of complaints to the referee.’
- ‘He is a man hag-ridden by the dissatisfactions of success, a person constitutionally incapable of compromise.’
- ‘He had the appearance of a man hag-ridden by worry.’
- ‘A careworn boy hag-ridden by his need for perfection knew release.’
- ‘Materialism traps us, unawares, in a world of possessions hag-ridden by irrational fears of likely loss and lurking dangers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.