One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short reading from the Prophets which follows the reading from the Law in a Jewish synagogue.
- ‘In addition, on the Shabbat following the bar mitzvah boy's thirteenth birthday, he is called to the Torah during morning services at the synagogue to recite the blessing on the Haftorah.’
- ‘The Haftorah teaches that Torah will enlighten those who follow King Chiram's example.’
- ‘This is also alluded to in the third blessing after the Haftorah reading on Shabbat: ‘Blessed are you God, Shield of David.’’
- ‘The Bar Mitzvah boy is also expected to read the week's selection from the prophetic readings, called the Haftorah.’
- ‘The Haftorah concludes by informing us that, indeed, Shlomo ascended his father's throne, and his rule was ‘well-established ‘.’
From Hebrew hap̱ṭārāh ‘dismissal’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.