One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short reading from the Prophets which follows the reading from the Law in a Jewish synagogue.
- ‘The Bar Mitzvah boy is also expected to read the week's selection from the prophetic readings, called the Haftorah.’
- ‘This is also alluded to in the third blessing after the Haftorah reading on Shabbat: ‘Blessed are you God, Shield of David.’’
- ‘The Haftorah teaches that Torah will enlighten those who follow King Chiram's example.’
- ‘The Haftorah concludes by informing us that, indeed, Shlomo ascended his father's throne, and his rule was ‘well-established ‘.’
- ‘In addition, on the Shabbat following the bar mitzvah boy's thirteenth birthday, he is called to the Torah during morning services at the synagogue to recite the blessing on the Haftorah.’
From Hebrew hap̱ṭārāh ‘dismissal’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.