One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Muslim who knows the Koran by heart.
- ‘The completion of the Qur'an is indeed an act of great merit and virtue and the hafiz may be congratulated for that.’
- ‘Reciting Quranic verses from memory just like a hafiz, the doctor says that there are many verses in the Quran which bring relief to pain.’
- ‘Committing the Qur'an to memory acted as a great aid for its preservation and any person who is able to accomplish this is known as a hafiz.’
- ‘The men began singing in Pashto, while Yasin - who is a hafiz, which means he has memorized the entire Koran - translated for me.’
- ‘Now I have decided to become a hafiz so that I can make sure nobody does anything wrong.’
Persian, from Arabic ḥāfiẓ ‘guardian’, from ḥāfiẓa ‘guard, know by heart’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.