One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cell of the haemolymph of various invertebrates, especially arthropods.
- ‘Circulating blood cells known as hemocytes represent the main cellular component of the molluscan immune system.’
- ‘The corresponding larval phenotypes include hypertrophied hematopoietic organs, increased numbers of circulating hemocytes, and abnormal differentiation of lamellocytes that represent up to 50% of the cells.’
- ‘Several studies have revealed the ability of circulating hemocytes to respond to a variety of soluble vertebrate factors, indirectly suggesting the presence of receptors to a variety of growth, hormonal and cytokine-like factors.’
- ‘By studying shrimp at different times during the 5 day molt cycle, we observed the cyclic increase of tyrosine within the hemocytes with a maximum during days 1 and 5, when quinones are necessary for tanning the exoskeleton.’
- ‘These results support the hypothesis that aggregation of hemocytes in the gills impairs normal respiratory function and help explain the increased susceptibility of crustaceans to infectious disease in hypoxic environments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.