Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The primary body cavity of most invertebrates, containing circulatory fluid.
- ‘The circulatory system includes a heart that pumps blood into an open body cavity or hemocoel.’
- ‘Arthropods also have a hemocoel, an open body cavity in which blood flows and bathes the tissues and organs.’
- ‘Other internal organs are suspended in a general hemocoel.’
- ‘The circulatory system is open and consists of a heart, arteries, and the open spaces of the hemocoel.’
- ‘These tumors are frequently found floating freely in the haemocoel.’
Late 19th century: from haemo- ‘of blood’ + Greek koilos hollow, cavity.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.