One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subatomic particle of a type including the baryons and mesons, which can take part in the strong interaction.
- ‘Beams of hadrons, such as protons, neutrons and ions, offer important advantages over X-ray radiotherapy.’
- ‘The simplest hadrons are therefore mesons made from a quark and antiquark pair (where the difference is zero), and baryons made of three quarks (where the difference is three).’
- ‘Protons, neutrons, pions, and the elaborate array of other hadrons discovered in the last half-century are thought to be understood in terms of their constituent quarks and gluons.’
- ‘For example, the earliest version of the theory could only accommodate bosons, whereas many hadrons - including the proton and neutron - are fermions.’
- ‘A proton, found in the nucleus of an atom, is composed of three quarks and is a hadron.’
1960s: from Greek hadros ‘bulky’ + -on.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.