One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
proper nounGreek Mythology
1The underworld; the land of the spirits of the dead.
- 1.1 The god of the underworld, one of the sons of Cronus.Also called Pluto
- 1.2informal Hell.
hell, the underworld, the abode of the dead, the land of the dead, the infernal regions, the netherworld, the nether regions, the abyssView synonyms
- ‘If you are a litterer, enjoy it because you are surely going to Hades for your sins.’
- ‘And so, this reform group set about innovating a series of technical changes which would begin to blast the hierarchy to Hades.’
- ‘He gave them weights and measures, taught them all arts, and escorted the dead to Hades.’
- ‘However, this being the mortal plane and not Hades, these various screw-ups all had a happy ending.’
- ‘My life, also know as Hades, turned into hell when my mother passed away.’
- ‘Most people ended up in Hades, a dark, gloomy place with howling dogs, screaming monsters and the souls of the dead.’
- ‘It's good stuff, too, straight out of the earth and hot as Hades, and you can boil a teakettle in a couple of minutes.’
- ‘Much to my surprise he had gone to Hades or hell as you know it - and overthrew its ruler of darkness.’
- ‘But better not inflame passions with references to Hades or the netherworld?’
- ‘If there is justice in the afterlife, he is getting banged around Hades like a brick in a clothes drier.’
- ‘Andy, Markie, and Sarah all got in a Hades and warned Kevin not to shoot them.’
- ‘The romance between he and his beloved is legend as is his decent to Hades.’
- ‘They are infernal machines, designed by Satan's minions in the darkest recesses of Hades.’
- ‘He has not got a snowball's chance in the flames of Hades of convincing me!’
- ‘The number of women worldwide over all history consigned to Hades by Roger for having abortions must be in the hundreds of millions.’
- ‘Until you find the Kingdom of Hades, your bodies will stay as lifeless as stone.’
- ‘When I tried to help these patients my practice and my life descended into the equivalent of a medical Hades.’
- ‘Unfortunately, our heroine is dead and in Hades, retelling her story from across the River Styx.’
- ‘Nevertheless, it is a non-profit-making venture without a hope in Hades of bagging corporate sponsorship.’
- ‘I said, moments after I had given a resounding cheer that we had, for the last time, descended from Hades.’
- 1.1 The god of the underworld, one of the sons of Cronus.
From Greek Haidēs, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.