One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The official term for a taxi.
taxi, cab, taxi cab, minicab, hackney cabView synonyms
- ‘I would advise people to take a couple of seconds before getting into a taxi to check if it is a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.’
- ‘The court heard it was an offence to ply for hire without a hackney carriage licence and private hire drivers must have a pre-booking for a passenger to go to a specific destination.’
- ‘Whatever a hackney carriage may be classed as, it is still a car that carries a limited number of passengers who are paying for the privilege of being chauffeured from door to door.’
- ‘But, if after hearing all the evidence, officers decide the driver is no threat to public safety, the hackney carriage and private hire panel will be asked to make the final decision.’
- ‘It is an offence to use a taxi rank unless you are a licenced hackney carriage (black cab), so why do cars flout this law?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.