One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The official term for a taxi.
taxi, cab, taxi cab, minicab, hackney cabView synonyms
- ‘The court heard it was an offence to ply for hire without a hackney carriage licence and private hire drivers must have a pre-booking for a passenger to go to a specific destination.’
- ‘I would advise people to take a couple of seconds before getting into a taxi to check if it is a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.’
- ‘Whatever a hackney carriage may be classed as, it is still a car that carries a limited number of passengers who are paying for the privilege of being chauffeured from door to door.’
- ‘It is an offence to use a taxi rank unless you are a licenced hackney carriage (black cab), so why do cars flout this law?’
- ‘But, if after hearing all the evidence, officers decide the driver is no threat to public safety, the hackney carriage and private hire panel will be asked to make the final decision.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.