Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1archaic An inhabitant.
inhabitant, resident, townsman, townswoman, native, localView synonyms
- ‘The in habitants of the camp were busy as usual, constantly bustling about.’
- ‘It is not surprising that with this attitude towards dark-skinned people, many North Africans do not consider themselves blacks and look down on habitants of Sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘The company is responsible for treating all the waste water of a city with over 16 million habitants.’
- ‘This being the case, those habitants of areas outside the golden southwestern sphere are entirely reliant upon their own vehicles.’
- ‘The country dwellers and habitants of market towns and traditional villages keep away from the large towns and cities unless absolutely necessary.’
2[often as modifier] An early French settler in Canada (especially Quebec) or Louisiana.‘the habitant farmhouses of old Quebec’
settler, colonizer, colonial, frontiersman, frontierswoman, pioneerView synonyms
- ‘These habitants were the first French Canadians.’
- ‘When tobacco prices dropped, Chesapeake planters suffered; when French subsidies lagged or European fashions changed, Quebec habitants descended toward subsistence.’
- ‘The lives of many French North American habitants were disrupted by eighteenth-century geopolitical changes, but none more than the Acadians.’
- ‘In 1713, when Britain acquired Acadia, they were some 2,300 French habitants living on seigneuries, under the manorial system which France established in her colonies.’
- ‘Many of the early French habitants established small farms.’
Late Middle English (in habitant): from Old French, from habiter, from Latin habitare inhabit.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.