One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of living in a particular place at a particular time.
occupancy, occupation, residence, residency, living in, housing, billeting, quartering, tenureView synonyms
- ‘In neither case could he properly be called an inhabitant of that place or be said to have his habitancy there.’
- ‘The qualifications of a representative are two years' habitancy.’
- ‘Disputes may arise respecting the place of habitancy or legal settlement of a poor person.’
- ‘When they first visited that portion of the country that surrounds Nashville, there were no marks of former habitancy.’
- ‘The qualification of an elector was a real estate of fifty pounds, within the town or precinct where the election should be made; but habitancy was not required in either case.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.