One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Qualify for office, especially as a teacher in a German university.‘Heisenberg had already habilitated at the University of Göttingen’
- ‘That Hume should suffer the agony of defeat by those he did so much to habilitate would be a cruel final irony.’
- ‘In 1991 he habilitated in Economics.’
- ‘He habilitated in 1928, the year that Heidegger moved back to Freiburg to take up his former teacher's chair.’
- ‘Subsequently he went to Berlin as coworker of Max where he habilitated in 1929.’
- ‘He received his PhD in 1983 and habilitated in 1986, both times specializing in political sciences at the University of Bonn.’
Early 17th century: from medieval Latin habilitat- ‘made able’, from the verb habilitare, from habilitas (see ability).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.