Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & exclamation
- ‘‘Mm hmm, sounds about right,’ I answered vaguely, looking back out over the field again.’
- ‘It's been the source of, hmm, let me see, every boyfriend I've ever had.’
- ‘In the coming weeks I may even tell you why each one makes me go hmm.’
- ‘What does it say about the state of the tube if they have to announce that there aren't any problems on it, hmm?’
- ‘I skipped through the first two tracks, thinking, hmm, yeah, that's okay.’
- ‘Now I should think about getting out to get a paper, I guess… hmm.’
- ‘So how are you doing with that New Year's resolution to get thinner, hmm?’
- ‘But then again, she did get on at Westminster… hmm, maybe it was her after all?’
- ‘Fifteen minutes left to go on the card, so - hmm, what can I do?’
- ‘He had failed to remember that it was Mother's Day - nice one mate. hmm.’
- ‘There's a section on this programme called Things that make you go hmm.’
- ‘Well where were you when I could have used that advice, hmm?’
- ‘Apparently a while ago I sent one of my buddies a message talking about ‘my friend the vodka bottle’ - hmm not a great sign.’
- ‘Why don't I just stop being so whiney and childish, hmm?’
- ‘So when I saw this device on Thursday, $300 cheaper than it had been, I thought, hmm.’
- ‘No really, that's the most exciting thing to have happened in my life since, hmm, well at least since the weekend.’
- ‘I've been feeling a little… hmm, lonely isn't the word, but it's the closest thing I can come up with.’
- ‘Let's say, hypothetically of course, that in my myth, I am… hmm, Promethea.’
- ‘That was strange, hmm… it needs to go up outside my house.’
- ‘Today I received another bill for equipment that was collected, hmm, oh about 3 months ago!’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.