Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
exclamation & noun
- ‘There's a section on this programme called Things that make you go hmm.’
- ‘That was strange, hmm… it needs to go up outside my house.’
- ‘It's been the source of, hmm, let me see, every boyfriend I've ever had.’
- ‘Fifteen minutes left to go on the card, so - hmm, what can I do?’
- ‘Today I received another bill for equipment that was collected, hmm, oh about 3 months ago!’
- ‘No really, that's the most exciting thing to have happened in my life since, hmm, well at least since the weekend.’
- ‘What does it say about the state of the tube if they have to announce that there aren't any problems on it, hmm?’
- ‘But then again, she did get on at Westminster… hmm, maybe it was her after all?’
- ‘I've been feeling a little… hmm, lonely isn't the word, but it's the closest thing I can come up with.’
- ‘He had failed to remember that it was Mother's Day - nice one mate. hmm.’
- ‘So how are you doing with that New Year's resolution to get thinner, hmm?’
- ‘In the coming weeks I may even tell you why each one makes me go hmm.’
- ‘Well where were you when I could have used that advice, hmm?’
- ‘I skipped through the first two tracks, thinking, hmm, yeah, that's okay.’
- ‘‘Mm hmm, sounds about right,’ I answered vaguely, looking back out over the field again.’
- ‘Why don't I just stop being so whiney and childish, hmm?’
- ‘Let's say, hypothetically of course, that in my myth, I am… hmm, Promethea.’
- ‘Apparently a while ago I sent one of my buddies a message talking about ‘my friend the vodka bottle’ - hmm not a great sign.’
- ‘Now I should think about getting out to get a paper, I guess… hmm.’
- ‘So when I saw this device on Thursday, $300 cheaper than it had been, I thought, hmm.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.