Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ridge or fold between two clefts on the cerebral surface in the brain.
twist, turn, coil, spiral, twirl, curl, helix, whorl, loop, curlicue, kink, sinuosityView synonyms
- ‘Telling the truth however causes activity in the frontal lobe, temporal lobe and cingulate gyrus.’
- ‘Specific regions of each cerebral hemisphere, with their unique folds and grooves (respectively called gyri and sulci), are responsible for the movements of a particular body part.’
- ‘After their excision, the insula appears as a triangular eminence that is marked by a number of sulci and gyri.’
- ‘Another branch, the sulcus angularis, may be axial to the angular gyrus, and it may be continuous with the superior temporal sulcus.’
- ‘Another region of neuron formation is the dentate gyrus, where a special type of neuron, the granule cell, is generated.’
- ‘The brain weighed 1380 g and showed diffusely swollen cerebral hemispheres with marked flattening of the gyri throughout the convexities.’
- ‘The superior temporal gyrus is subdivided into two or more obliquely running, short, transverse temporal gyri.’
- ‘On each side, the gyrus rectus of the frontal lobe is well developed and the orbital gyri are arranged irregularly around the H-shaped orbital sulci.’
- ‘It receives inputs from the hippocampus, amygdala, cingulate gyrus, temporal cortex, and orbitofrontal cortex.’
- ‘Lateral to the dentate gyrus, the temporal horn of the lateral ventricle has been opened to expose its choroid plexus, which is involved in the production of cerebrospinal fluid.’
- ‘Cortical tubers, or benign potato-like growths, appear along the gyri and sulci in the brain.’
- ‘It has been dissected out from the inferior part of the cingulate gyrus in which, for the most part, it is embedded.’
- ‘Males activated right medial frontal gyrus and inferior parietal lobe.’
- ‘Those connecting neighboring cerebral gyri are clearly seen.’
- ‘The cingulate gyrus has profuse reciprocal connections with the anterior thalamic nuclei and is an important constituent of the limbic system.’
- ‘The cerebellum has on its surface a series of tight folds, called folia, similar to, but narrower than, the gyri of the cerebral cortex.’
- ‘The configuration of white and gray matter of the dentate gyrus and hippocampus is distinctive.’
- ‘They have observed the growth of neurons in the dentate gyrus, a portion of the hippocampus (which controls learning and short term memory), in mice that were placed in a stimulating environment.’
- ‘The orbital part of the frontal lobe and the gyrus rectus are seen.’
- ‘A comparison of the brain scans from the two groups revealed significant differences in the volume of gray matter in areas of the frontal and temporal lobes and the cingulate gyrus.’
- ‘And in that task, the control children show a great deal of activation in the middle and inferior frontal gyrus and in the parietal lobes towards the top and back of the brain, would be the parietal area.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, from Greek guros ‘a ring’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.