One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gyrocompass used to provide automatic steering for a ship or aircraft.
- ‘In most ocean-going vessels the gyrocompass is connected electrically to a gyropilot, a device that automatically steers the ship, keeping it on course in accordance with signals from the gyrocompass.’
- ‘The gyropilot is so expert that it gives passengers a smoother ride than can the pilot himself.’
- ‘A central optical bearing device and a gyropilot repeater compass may be arranged in the fore and aft parts, respectively, of the middle console.’
- ‘Also installed was a gyrocompass system complete with master compass, steering and bearing repeaters and gyropilot for steering sounding lines.’
- ‘From the gyrocompass, Sperry developed the gyropilot for steering ships and the automatic gyropilot for stabilizing airplanes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.