Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for plasterboard
- ‘These panels were either bonded directly to the gypsum board surfaces or, where we needed to cover acoustic wall and ceiling cavities, we employed a system of wire-mesh backing or exposed wood battens.’
- ‘It can grow on material with a high cellulose and low nitrogen content, such as fiberboard, gypsum board, paper, dust, and lint.’
- ‘The ceilings are suspended tiles on a grid, the floors are carpet tiles, and the walls are made of gypsum board with metal studs and track.’
- ‘In a traditional barn, you won't find finishes like drywall or gypsum board.’
- ‘Early indications are that the steel two-by-fours behind the gypsum board are also in good shape.’
- ‘Products such as carpets or gypsum board do not contain significant amounts of formaldehyde when new.’
- ‘Some rafter systems are not deep enough to accept fiberglass batting and/or even enough to attach a vapor barrier or support a finished wall of paneling or gypsum board.’
- ‘After installing a new concrete floor and covering the rough interior walls with gypsum board, he created cabinets and a built-in bed, making the space comfortable enough for changing clothes or sleeping.’
- ‘To ensure the wail system is airtight, our drywall applicators fully caulk the gypsum board face layers, the outside edges of all membrane cutouts, and all penetrations.’
- ‘Curved gypsum board and cove lighting are combined to create pseudo-canopies above the patient beds, reinforcing the non-institutional look and feel of the rooms.’
- ‘On the second floor, the paint has peeled off the gypsum board which has deteriorated and expanded.’
- ‘To illustrate the concept, imagine a 3D wall object made up of two layers of gypsum board on either side of a wood stud.’
- ‘Wood or metal framing of walls and ceilings is covered with sheets of drywall and gypsum board - a virtual ‘sandwich’ of calcium sulfate between layers of paper.’
- ‘The floor is wood, the ceiling is gypsum board, and the walls are part plaster on masonry and part gypsum board on randomly spaced framing.’
- ‘Material samples showed significant microbial growth in the classroom and teachers' room ceilings, the gypsum board in the ceiling, thermal insulation in the attic, and the mortar material in the floor and ceiling.’
- ‘We are putting up gypsum board for a ceiling in a storage shed that we are refurbishing.’
- ‘Further isolation for the practice rooms, electronic music suite, and recording suite is achieved with double-stud walls and multiple layers of gypsum board.’
- ‘Today's products contain a significant amount of recycled content, including steel, concrete and gypsum board.’
- ‘Then we screwed the gypsum board onto the front and sides of the frame.’
- ‘Growth was found mainly on the mineral fiber insulation, the paper surface on gypsum board, wall paper, and wood details in the roof construction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.