One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish, awkward, or loutish person.‘the man's a gype’
- ‘I know one gype who was lucky enough to get early retirement from a hectic, high-pressure job.’
- ‘Someone offered me a fag and this gype reckoned she'd have "just one".’
- ‘I was a gype with nothing on my mind.’
- ‘"Go away you daft gype," he said.’
- ‘Some gype had shoved the handle of the flag in your hand.’
Early 19th century: probably of Scandinavian origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.