Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Centred on or concerned exclusively with women; taking a female (or specifically a feminist) point of view.
- ‘Also, the recognition that narratives can be gynocentric without being overtly critical of patriarchal structures is a sound observation, as is his warning against cliches about ancient patriarchal society.’
- ‘In this gynocentric world, signs of misogyny are watched for closely, and acts of misogyny are now morally and legally unallowable.’
- ‘A representation is gynocentric if it depicts the world in relation to female or feminine interests, emotions, attitudes or values.’
- ‘Feminist separatism was the earliest expression of such gynocentric feminism.’
- ‘The essays are eclectic, ranging from andocentric to gynocentric perspectives.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.