One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Enlargement of a man's breasts, usually due to hormone imbalance or hormone therapy.
- ‘False gynaecomastia or pseudo gynaecomastia is simply breast enlargement due to fatty tissue, and that is incredibly common of course, particularly as men get older.’
- ‘The clinical differential diagnosis included leukemic infiltration of the breast, gynecomastia, and carcinoma.’
- ‘However, this hormone is extremely expensive, and its adverse effects include carpal tunnel syndrome, headache, arthralgias, myalgias and gynecomastia.’
- ‘Some types of liver disease and cancers of several types can produce gynecomastia.’
- ‘Most swelling that men experience is benign gynecomastia.’
- ‘Further, serotonin blockade prevents dopamine from increasing prolactin levels thereby relieving patients of the adverse effects of galactorrhea, amenorrhea, and gynecomastia.’
- ‘The patients past medical history included hypertension, coronary artery disease, glaucoma, and gynecomastia of the left breast.’
- ‘Side effects may include impotence, decreased libido, breast tenderness, gynecomastia, and ejaculation disorders.’
- ‘Klinefelter's syndrome is often marked by gynecomastia, an enlargement of the breast tissue, which Giordano says may also turn out to be a risk factor.’
- ‘Androgen deprivation did not prove beneficial and has adverse effects such as osteoporosis, weight gain, hot flushes, gynecomastia, impotence and loss of libido.’
- ‘In the chest men often develop fat deposits around the breasts, a condition called gynecomastia.’
- ‘This article provides details of 7 cases whose profiles resembled findings that have been described in male breasts with gynecomastia.’
- ‘Others experience pain and tenderness in the breasts, which can be a symptom of gynecomastia.’
- ‘Long-term spironolactone therapy has been limited because of its adverse effects, that is, impotence, gynecomastia, hirsutism.’
- ‘The term gynecomastia is used to describe male breast enlargement.’
- ‘The physical examination should focus primarily on signs of liver disease other than jaundice, including bruising, spider angiomas, gynecomastia, testicular atrophy, and palmar erythema.’
- ‘If you have gynaecomastia, the doctor will usually be able to feel a smooth disk-shaped lump behind the nipple; whereas cancerous lumps are usually more bumpy and uneven.’
- ‘There was mild gynecomastia, but there were no other stigmata of chronic liver disease.’
- ‘Men who develop gynecomastia often fear that they are at higher risk for breast cancer.’
- ‘He acknowledged that gynaecomastia - breast growth - could develop with patches, and impotence was also a risk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.