One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of physiology and medicine which deals with the functions and diseases specific to women and girls, especially those affecting the reproductive system.
- ‘It draws most heavily on internal medicine, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, surgery, psychiatry and preventive medicine.’
- ‘As specialists in reproductive endocrinology and reproductive gynecology, we frequently are referred these rather unusual cases and can surgically correct most of the conditions that arise.’
- ‘‘Misuse of oral contraceptives results in about one million unintended pregnancies a year,’ said an assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology.’
- ‘He worked as a senior house officer and registrar in gynaecology and obstetrics until 1980, when he changed career to general practice.’
- ‘There are also organised integrated courses for physicians from different fields - internal medicine, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology and oncology.’
- ‘We performed a questionnaire based survey of miscarriage services in all 26 consultant led gynaecology and obstetric units in Scotland.’
- ‘In-depth interviews of physicians from the surgical, orthopedic, obstetric and gynecology, and anesthesia department were conducted.’
- ‘Fields of application include cardiology, emergency medicine, obstetrics / gynecology, radiology, surgery, and vascular.’
- ‘We believe that product can reach all areas of the anatomy, and might have neurology, cardiovascular disease, urology, gynecology, and other applications.’
- ‘They studied women who were referred to a Scottish teaching hospital's gynecology clinic for treatment of menorrhagia.’
- ‘Islamic medicine usually regarded the female body in terms of gynaecology and obstetrics, and chapters on women's health and illness more often than not discussed nothing else.’
- ‘‘Miscarriages are usually the result of a defect in the fetus, not in the mother,’ says the professor and head of obstetrics and gynecology.’
- ‘Perioperative nurses may find themselves in a practice setting that focuses on obstetrics, gynecology, and/or breast cancer-related surgery.’
- ‘Some male nurses have found that they have not been able to practice in certain areas, such as obstetrics / gynecology or the delivery room.’
- ‘He was director of obstetrics and gynecology and associate director of the family practice residency in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.’
- ‘This growth in litigation has occurred across the range of medical specialties, although the most pronounced growth has been in claims arising from obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘However, as an intern on rotation to obstetrics and gynaecology, I feel that I must have attended a billion deliveries this month.’
- ‘It will carry out general surgery, orthopaedics, gastroenterology, gynaecology, plastics and urology procedures.’
- ‘Consider seeking opinions from doctors in specialties such as obstetrics and gynecology, women's health, and interventional radiology.’
- ‘The number of training posts in obstetrics and gynaecology has continued to fall over the past three years, leaving the specialty facing a deficit of consultants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.