One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sleeveless belted tunic reaching from the shoulder to the knee, formerly worn by schoolgirls.
- ‘Miss Hopper was wearing her original gymslip and sash from her school in Askrigg, and had borrowed a matching blazer.’
- ‘Her gymslip was neatly pleated over a well-developed bosom, which again was not the case with me.’
- ‘But here is a question: ‘Does anyone know who the girl in the second row wearing the dark gymslip is?’’
- ‘In those days, the young students didn't wear nylon tracksuits and trainers, but gymslips and plimsolls.’
- ‘There's no way I'm going to do a Haslam and start wearing pigtails and gymslips and having my gloves sewn on to a piece of elastic inside my coat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.