One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a group that comprises those that have seeds unprotected by an ovary or fruit, including the conifers, cycads, and ginkgo.Compare with angiosperm
- ‘Moreover, since the expression pattern is similar in a gymnosperm and in an angiosperm this function appears to be evolutionarily conserved.’
- ‘The known flora consists of 41 ferns and fern allies, 3 gymnosperms, 291 monocots, and 516 dicots.’
- ‘Among the plant branches, there were several supported groupings representing only gymnosperms or conifers.’
- ‘Simple trichomes are present on aerial surfaces of most angiosperms and on some gymnosperms and bryophytes.’
- ‘Taxonomists can now say that the ferns' closest cousins are the seed plants - angiosperms (flowering plants) and gymnosperms (such as conifers).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.