Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to gymnastics.‘a gymnastic display’
sporting, sports, games, gymnasticView synonyms
- ‘Let's not delve deep into gymnastic techniques and details by describing all the elements.’
- ‘During this time, Betty did some coaching and performed in a number of gymnastic shows and exhibitions throughout the the USA.’
- ‘After unravelling themselves from an eye-watering gymnastic display, they explain they both joined the circus when they were nine years old.’
- ‘Whole families come there for workouts and to learn some gymnastic exercises that improve fitness.’
- ‘Simons continues to peruse a multitude of mediums that incorporate his gymnastic talent.’
- ‘Despite its enormous size, the gym seemed crowded with gymnastic apparatuses.’
- ‘The first Modern Olympic games in 1896 featured competitive gymnastic events for men, which have been included in every Olympics since.’
- ‘The day's programme began with a gymnastic display by the scholars, and a performance by drum majorettes.’
- ‘During practice sessions she sometimes furiously kicks gymnastic apparatuses and screams that she will never go near them again.’
- ‘She would like to continue her gymnastic career even after Tokyo, but sooner or later she must think of stepping down to make way for the younger set.’
- ‘In addition to her gymnastic training five days a week, she skis and skates in the winter.’
- ‘In the afternoon, the pair gave a talk about the importance of exercise and healthy eating, then wowed everyone with a dramatic gymnastic display.’
- ‘She did all the gymnastic exercises better than anyone else.’
- ‘We've already mastered our flatwork, and introduced small gymnastic jumping exercises.’
- ‘The work's extreme manoeuvres seem designed to seduce its dancers into displays of gymnastic narcissism.’
- ‘While performing gymnastic exercises, she never smiles.’
- ‘It was probably the largest turnout for a gymnastic event in the United States.’
- ‘The standards of Soviet gymnastic training and performance are known and recognized the world over.’
- ‘Her mother was a gymnastics teacher and she was part of a gymnastic team preparing to compete in the Moscow Olympics.’
- ‘Many good gymnastic coaches have never competed in matches.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.