One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural gweilosSE Asian
A foreigner, especially a westerner.
alien, foreign national, non-native, immigrant, settler, newcomer, stranger, outsiderView synonyms
- ‘No matter what a gweilo does, he can never be fully accepted by the local people.’
- ‘But even savvy gweilos will be frustrated by this mess.’
- ‘In 1992, he sparked a heated argument by calling a fellow member a " gweilo’.’
- ‘The majority of the customers are gweilos (Brits, Australians, Americans, Canadians, Europeans) and Japanese, and the shops tend to have different ranges for the two groups - my comments are mainly about "gweilo food".’
- ‘The fact that he was just a little guy - 147 lb, 5ft 7in - and could take on the biggest gweilo [Cantonese slang for foreigner] and knock the hell out of him.’
Cantonese, literally ‘ghost man’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.