One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foreigner, especially a westerner.
alien, foreign national, non-native, immigrant, settler, newcomer, stranger, outsiderView synonyms
- ‘The fact that he was just a little guy - 147 lb, 5ft 7in - and could take on the biggest gweilo [Cantonese slang for foreigner] and knock the hell out of him.’
- ‘But even savvy gweilos will be frustrated by this mess.’
- ‘In 1992, he sparked a heated argument by calling a fellow member a " gweilo’.’
- ‘The majority of the customers are gweilos (Brits, Australians, Americans, Canadians, Europeans) and Japanese, and the shops tend to have different ranges for the two groups - my comments are mainly about "gweilo food".’
- ‘No matter what a gweilo does, he can never be fully accepted by the local people.’
Cantonese, literally ‘ghost man’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.