One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNZ, Australian
Ingratiating or affected speech or behaviour.‘what's all this guyver about the going being tough?’
- ‘Quite a lot of guyver missin' from our brand of chivalry; We don't make a pert procession when we're movin' up the forces.’
- ‘I wouldn't want you to get stuck-up and start putting on the gyver and forgetting your own.’
- ‘I s'pose the wimmin git some sorter fun, wiv all this guyver, an' 'is nibs's shirt.’
- ‘The first mode of attack, to save money, is to see that Parliament is not overloaded with all this nonsense, all this dressing up and all this guyver.’
- ‘They should be reminded that instead of the usual skinful of whisky and public welcome to cut out all this guyver and show Mr. Hughes the "Real Mackay."’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.