Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Eyeliner that is worn by men:‘a glam rock singer with a banshee wail, guyliner, and black nail polish’
- ‘For a moment I entertain the possibility that he's wearing guyliner (he's not, his eyes are just very startling, like headlamps on full beam).’
- ‘He commands the stage like a modern-day crooner, except that he fronts a rock band instead of an orchestra, and wears "guyliner" and feather epaulettes on his blazer.’
- ‘The Get Up Kids' early brand of pop-punk somehow spawned a wild world of young musicians who wouldn't be caught dead without their guyliner and asymmetrical black hair-dos.’
- ‘The first step to reclaiming masculinity is to dry those pretty little eyes, reapply your manscara, touch up your guyliner and get right back to the testosterone-saturated stadium/building site/trading floor.’
- ‘Everyone knows he's bound to graduate to black hair dye and guyliner any day now.’
- ‘These men had longer hair than most of the groupies in their videos, and the 'dos were enhanced by skintight leggings, heavage, guyliner and more lip gloss than a Covergirl commercial.’
- ‘The emo kids hate them 'cos they aren't so fussed about guyliner and plastic neon trinklet bracelets.’
- ‘The group is hardly emblematic of the genre (which has expanded to include guyliner and skinny jeans) but still commands legions of uberdedicated fans.’
- ‘True, in the original the eyes were terrifying and unblinking and deathly, but what if we popped some guyliner around the edges and made them ocean blue?’
- ‘I get men's face cream – maybe even guyliner – but men don't care about lashes!’
- ‘Wielding guyliner and lip-gloss, they give Jonathan a swift make-up lesson.’
- ‘It's the big night, the showdown, what's being called the guy next door versus the guyliner.’
- ‘It's not just the women who love their make-up. Men too are in on the act - whether it's a touch of concealer to hide a blemish or a hint of guyliner.’
- ‘Lambert was the one who kept people talking: with his guyliner, his black-painted fingernails, his stunning vocal range, and his penchant for stage drama and turning songs on their heads.’
- ‘After he left Big Brother he became famous for his use of guyliner and helped to promote a range of man make-up for YSL.’
Early 21st century: blend of guy and eyeliner.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.