Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Eyeliner that is worn by men.‘a glam rock singer with a banshee wail, guyliner, and black nail polish’
- ‘Wielding guyliner and lip-gloss, they give Jonathan a swift make-up lesson.’
- ‘I get men's face cream – maybe even guyliner – but men don't care about lashes!’
- ‘It's the big night, the showdown, what's being called the guy next door versus the guyliner.’
- ‘The emo kids hate them 'cos they aren't so fussed about guyliner and plastic neon trinklet bracelets.’
- ‘The group is hardly emblematic of the genre (which has expanded to include guyliner and skinny jeans) but still commands legions of uberdedicated fans.’
- ‘Lambert was the one who kept people talking: with his guyliner, his black-painted fingernails, his stunning vocal range, and his penchant for stage drama and turning songs on their heads.’
- ‘For a moment I entertain the possibility that he's wearing guyliner (he's not, his eyes are just very startling, like headlamps on full beam).’
- ‘Everyone knows he's bound to graduate to black hair dye and guyliner any day now.’
- ‘After he left Big Brother he became famous for his use of guyliner and helped to promote a range of man make-up for YSL.’
- ‘The first step to reclaiming masculinity is to dry those pretty little eyes, reapply your manscara, touch up your guyliner and get right back to the testosterone-saturated stadium/building site/trading floor.’
- ‘It's not just the women who love their make-up. Men too are in on the act - whether it's a touch of concealer to hide a blemish or a hint of guyliner.’
- ‘These men had longer hair than most of the groupies in their videos, and the 'dos were enhanced by skintight leggings, heavage, guyliner and more lip gloss than a Covergirl commercial.’
- ‘He commands the stage like a modern-day crooner, except that he fronts a rock band instead of an orchestra, and wears "guyliner" and feather epaulettes on his blazer.’
- ‘True, in the original the eyes were terrifying and unblinking and deathly, but what if we popped some guyliner around the edges and made them ocean blue?’
- ‘The Get Up Kids' early brand of pop-punk somehow spawned a wild world of young musicians who wouldn't be caught dead without their guyliner and asymmetrical black hair-dos.’
Early 21st century: blend of guy and eyeliner.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.