Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘I rushed home and said to Mammy, "I didn't want those gutties, I wanted black patent shoes with square buckles."’
- ‘He sat on the bench and changed his shoes for a black pair of gutties.’
- ‘A pair of plimsolls - we used to call them gutties - was purchased for the princely sum of 10, and the kindly police officers then drove him back to the stadium in plenty of time for the match.’
From gutta-percha, because the soles of the shoes are made of rubber.
- ‘So many people talk primarily about the music on this album that I feel it's worthwhile to discuss a bit more of the gutty, deluded, and completely understandable emotional arc this album takes.’
- ‘Whether you like him or loathe him, you have to give him props for one of the game's all-time great gutty performances.’
- ‘The question has a sticky personal dimension, that of presidential character and the president's own gutty willingness to take decisive action.’
- ‘But he's a gutty, gritty player who always seems to come up with a big play when his team needs it.’
- ‘Since these kids are already so gutty and so competitive, it's safe to say that, as they pick up those things naturally while assuming other roles in our program, they're only going to get better.’
- ‘And even though they lost to New England in the big game on a last-second field goal, they put forth a gutty performance.’
- ‘But the gutty soldiers fought their way back after the turnaround to win the tie.’
- ‘They're gutty and gritty and fundamental and fearless.’
- ‘He is a gutty player who has a gift of inspiring his bowlers.’
- ‘In the same way, he won my heart with his gutty effort against Duran.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.