One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A scruffy and badly behaved child who spends most of their time on the street.
urchin, street urchin, ragamuffin, waif, stray, outcast, orphanView synonyms
- ‘How many times do I have to respond to the ravings of guttersnipes?’
- ‘It is time to pay another visit to the snivelling little guttersnipe.’
- ‘I shall make a duchess of this draggle-tail guttersnipe.’
- ‘You ruined my picture, you little guttersnipe.’
- ‘But I look forward to the time when the technology becomes cheap and common enough for a little guttersnipe like me to afford one.’
- ‘They were feared and reviled as street rats and guttersnipes, vagrants and beggars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.