One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resembling drops or characterized by markings that resemble drops.
mottled, dappled, dapple, pied, piebald, brindled, brindle, speckled, speckly, flecked, specked, stippledView synonyms
- ‘Other conditions in the differential diagnosis include diffuse nummular eczema, tinea corporis, pityriasis lichenoides, guttate psoriasis, viral exanthem, lichen planus, and medication reaction.’
- ‘One bird has guttate spots on the forehead and wing, suggesting that it was in its first year. all others in the type series must be considered adults.’
- ‘Usually, guttate psoriasis must be differentiated from pityriasis rosea, another condition characterized by the sudden outbreak of red scaly lesions.’
- ‘These are called idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis and are absolutely benign and represent an ageing change in the skin.’
- ‘Other papulosquamous disorders should be considered in the differential diagnosis, including guttate psoriasis, pityriasis rosea, and discoid lupus erythematosus.’
Early 19th century: from Latin guttatus ‘speckled’, from gutta ‘a drop’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.