One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of speech or writing) effusive or exaggeratedly enthusiastic.‘gushing praise’
effusive, over-effusive, enthusiastic, over-enthusiastic, unrestrained, unreserved, extravagant, fulsome, lavish, gushy, rhapsodic, lyrical, exuberant, ebullient, expansiveView synonyms
- ‘At the risk of sounding like a gushing school girl, it is super exciting to report that one of the most interesting bands currently making pop music, The Clientele, are in the studio recording a new album!’
- ‘He has presided over the greatest redistribution of wealth since the 1960s, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, yet is offered gushing praise by the right wing Institute of Directors.’
- ‘At about the same time, I will be in another plane, bragging about you to my poor seatmates, who will soon put on their headsets, having had enough of a mother's gushing pride.’
- ‘The trio were doing their best to be helpful, but young blokes are not renowned for their communication skills and this, combined with 14 months' worth of tour fatigue, didn't make for the most gushing of chats.’
- ‘Then, the article starts off with a gushing flashback story about the wonderful world of hockey cards that existed for kids 50 years ago as remembered by an interviewed subject named Brian Price.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.